Job Title: Transcriber II (Sign Language Interpreter) (1 post)
Qualifications and Experience:
Applicants should possess the following academic and professional qualifications:
· Holder of Bachelor’s Degree in Special Education for the Deaf from a recognized and reputable institution.
· Assists in facilitating communication between hearing and deaf/hard-of-hearing consumers;
· Provides students with sign language interpreter services in educational settings, including classrooms, conferences, field trips, meetings with school staff, telephone calls, after-school and extracurricular activities, and other school-related functions and activities for students and staff;
· Translates sign language into English and Swahili in Academic presentation i.e. Seminars, Workshops and Conferences;
· Becomes aware of students’ language and skill levels, ensuring appropriate interpreting techniques;
· Reviews students Individualized Education Plan (IEP), as appropriate;
· Monitors the need for assistive technology, including hearing aids, cochlear implants, teletypewriter (TTY), closed captioning systems, frequency modulation (FM) amplification systems, and other assistive technology;
· Facilitates communication between hearing and deaf/hard-of-hearing consumers; and
· Performs any other duties as may be assigned by one’s reporting officer
Salary Scale: PUSS 5.1
TERMS OF SERVICE
Permanent and pensionable
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested candidates should apply in confidence enclosing:
(i) Detailed CV.
(ii) Photocopy of relevant certificates and transcripts.
(iii) Names and addresses of two referees.
(iv) Mode of communication, e.g. Telephone, fax, email, etc.
(i) For the positions of Technicians, Laboratory Scientists, Laboratory Engineers and Laboratory Assistants, candidates should indicate the College/ School and Departments to which they apply.
(ii) Applicants currently employed in the Public Service should channel their application letters through their respective employers. Non-disclosure of such status will lead to automatic disqualification.
(iii) Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
Interested applicants should submit their applications to the following address:
Deputy Vice Chancellor (Administration)
University of Dar es Salaam
P.O. Box 35091
DAR ES SALAAM.
Deadline: 11th August 2015