UKTI is the United Kingdom Government’s international business development agency. The UKTI team in Tanzania is charged with trade development between the UK and Tanzania, assisting Tanzanian companies looking to set up operations or expand in the UK and alerting and informing British businesses about opportunities in Tanzania. The team also contributes to Her Majesty’s Government’s work on the Prosperity agenda through working alongside FCO and DFID colleagues on the UK-Tanzania High Level Partnership providing high quality advice and analysis regarding the business environment and commercial potential in market.
This is a great opportunity to work in an exciting and fast-paced environment on a high profile agenda within the British High Commission. The Trade Officer will be a highly motivated individual, have excellent communication skills, be well organized and able to use his/her own initiative.
The successful candidate will need to undergo background checks and security clearance.
· Provide assistance to the Trade Development Manager and Head of UKTI Tanzania
· Act as a focal point of contact for British Businesses, handle initial queries, provide advice on the business environment and company registration procedures
· Undertake research and marketing activity, help the Trade Development Manager identify potential investors that would be interested in setting up or expanding their operations in Tanzania.
· Write and compile reports on specific topics relating to market developments, best routes to market, and potential Tanzanian business partners for UK companies looking to enter the Tanzanian market
· Compile visit programs and organise company meetings for UKTI. Attend meetings where appropriate and assist in management of client relationships
· Assist with the planning and execution of international trade missions, industry focused seminars and other events to promote the UK
· Input into and manage a database of key contacts in the industry
· Provide operational and administrative support by maintaining UKTI Customer Relationship Management (CRM) and project management databases, compiling measurement data and managing project order system
· Identifying public and private sector tenders and alerting UK companies to the opportunities.
Skills and Qualifications:
· Educated to a degree level (University graduate or equivalent work experience) preferably in international business or marketing
· Understanding of international / regional / Tanzanian trade and investment issues excellent research and report writing skills.
· Attention to detail and good follow up discipline
· Ability to produce good quality and accurate work, against tight deadlines
· Ability to excel in a collaborative team environment.
· Ability to prioritise, effectively manage and execute multiple tasks to a high standard
· Fluency in English and Swahili, written and verbal
· Strength in MS Office, Excel, Access and Outlook; proven online research skills.
· Knowledge of UK and Tanzania domestic / foreign affairs is desirable
· Working with others (shows consideration for others’ needs and motivations, values diversity and works effectively and supportively with colleagues and contacts in the immediate and wider teams).
· Oral Communication (conveys information accurately and concisely. Expresses own views and contributes to team debate).
· Written Communication (excellent written English and report writing skills, ability to communicate in writing with colleagues and contacts in a professional and businesslike manner).
· Clear customer focus (understands and focuses on customer needs).
· Delivers results (consistently drives for high quality performance for self. Handles a variety of tasks, making progress on all fronts. Takes responsibility, recognising that others depend on them).
· Civil Service competencies for this post are graded at Level 1 (AA and AO or equiv): http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Civil-Service-Competency-Framework-July-2012.pdf
The monthly salary for the position is Tsh 1,680,701 plus pension and medical insurance. Appointment will be under local terms and conditions, and is subject to medical and security clearance.
How to apply:
Applicants should submit a one page statement describing why you would be a good candidate for the UKTI Trader Officer post along with their CV to Tanzania-Recruitment@dfid.gov.uk entitled “UKTI Trade Officer Vacancy.”
The deadline for the submission of applications is 12 noon on Friday 31st October 2014.
Please ensure that any e-mail attachments do not exceed 5MB. Only candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted, and will be required to bring original certificates and diplomas for verification.
Interview and start date
Candidates shortlisted for this post will be required to attend an interview and complete a series of aptitude and written tests. Interviews for the UKTI Trade Officer Post have provisionally been scheduled to take place the week beginning November 10th 2014. The planned start date for this position is 1st December and no later.
The British High Commission is an Equal Opportunities Employer. We welcome all applicants, irrespective of race, colour, gender, disability, sexual orientation, religion, creed, beliefs or age. Selection is on merit.
No payments should be requested or offered at any part of the recruitment process – any irregularities should be reported by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. No travel expenses will be paid from outside of Tanzania.