Reports to: Finance Officer
Contract duration: 6 months (with the possibility of extension)
Reporting to the Finance Assistant, the Finance Intern will gain work experience by supporting the finance functions of BBC Media Action in Tanzania. This will involve being responsible for basic accounting functions including, but not limited to, accounts receivable, accounts payable, grant reporting, tax reporting, and audit compliance. S/he must be a university graduate with proven experience or interest of working in the field of Accounting.
- Support the payment processing team in preparing and recording accounts payable vouchers
- Create spreadsheets
- Scan, copy, and file documents
- Research and answer vendor inquiries on payments
- Assist with month-end and year-end financial reports
- Post journal entries
- Help with accounts receivable, payable and bank-statement reconciliation
- Assist with audits
- Work with the finance team on periodic reforecasting
- Data entry
Required skills, knowledge and experience:
- A recent university graduate with proven experience or interest of working in the field of Accounting
- Fluency in English and Swahili (Spoken and Written)
- Good interpersonal skills to establish effective working relationships
- Ability to multi-task
- Willingness and ability to take the initiative not only in identifying problems, but also in implementing solutions
- Excellent IT skills with experience of operating computer based financial management systems
- An eye for detail and a concern for accuracy
- The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Analytical thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts to explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
- Planning and organisation – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Managing relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
- Self-development – Is able to identify and apply opportunities for learning and development.
Candidates should send their CV and a covering letter (PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role in English to firstname.lastname@example.org. The name of the position applied for should be included in the subject line of the email.
Please do not send certificates or other attachments. Applicants with no separate covering letter will not be considered. Please only apply if you meet the basic criteria under the person specification. This is a local post applicable to people who have the legal right to live and work in Tanzania. 'National terms and conditions will apply'.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Application deadline: Wednesday 10 December 2014 by 5pm