Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is an international non-governmental agency specializing in relief and community development activities implemented through its partners. The agency provides equal employment opportunity regardless of age, race, gender, religion or disability.
CRS is looking for a qualified Senior Project Officer - Production who will be providing technical leadership in Soya production.
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
Reports To: Soya ni Pesa Project Director
- Provide technical leadership in soya production.
- Ensure CRS and Implementing Partner staff receive the necessary training, guidance and technical support to implement, monitor and report on the project
- Identify technical needs and gaps in soya production and facilitate filling those gaps through mobilizing internal or external expertise
- Identify gaps in soya production in relation to market demand; design and facilitate the implementation of strategies to help smallholder farmers fill these gaps to successfully meet market demand
- Provide technical leadership in the establishment and demonstration of best soya agronomic practices, including leading or collaborating with research activities
- Ensure that systems are in place so that farmers acquire necessary production inputs in a timely manner
- Facilitate the establishment of a sustainable soybean seed system
- Provide technical leadership in post-harvest activities
- Support the establishment and/or use of appropriate storage facilities and provide training on effective soybean storage
- Ensure proper utilization of agency and project resources (financial, material and human)
- Ensure timely implementation and achievement of project objectives
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with key stakeholders in the soybean sector
Support and strengthen capacity of CRS and local implementing partner staff through provision of the necessary tools and guidelines and direct technical assistance
Foster strong relationship with Headquarters and Regional technical advisors to provide adequate technical support to CRS and partner staff
In collaboration with M&EL staff, implement appropriate monitoring, evaluation and learning system
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervise Project Officer(s)
Qualifications and Skills:
Masters or BSc in Agronomy or other related fields.
Minimum 5 or 7 years of experience in the field of agronomy and related interventions
Experience in soya production or research highly desirable
Wide knowledge and experience implementing participatory learning methods for helping smallholder farmers improve their production and productivity (famer field schools, farmer research groups).
Physical Requirements/Environment: Based in Dar es Salaam with more than 50% travel time.
Applications Deadline 2nd August 2013
Please send the CV and application letter to:
Human Resource Manager,
P.O. Box 34701,
Catholic Relief Services,
Dar es Salaam.
Email address: email@example.com