POSITION: MANAGING DIRECTOR
COMPANY: STATE MINING CORPORATION (STAMICO)
Managing Director reports to the Board of Directors and is the Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation responsible in the day to day running of the institution to achieve its mission of investing in the mining industry through mineral prospecting; developing and operating mines; shareholding; mineral trading; value addition and provision of quality services in management of mines, drilling, consultancies and other related businesses.
Principal duties and responsibilities
- · Directs and supervises the administration of the activities under the responsibility of the Corporation ;
- · Ensures that the Corporation develops well focused vision and mission as approved by the Board of Directors;
- · Plans, Organizes, Co-ordinates, monitors, controls and evaluates implementation of Corporation’s policies and operations in order to achieve the Corporation’s goal and objectives;
- · Effectively promotes a positive image of the Corporation;
- · Chairs Management Team meetings;
- · Coordinates preparation and reviews the Corporation’s budget and ensures effective control as approved by the Board;
- · Coordinates the preparation of Strategic and Business Plans and submits to the Board of Directors for approval;
- · Keeps the Board of Directors regularly informed of any important matters that have a bearing on the functions of the board;
- · Operates the bank account and banking transactions as one of the authorized signatories;
- · Acts as the Accounting Officer of the Corporation responsible for implementing all policies;
- · Authorizes all payments whether of capital or revenue nature to ensure efficient and effective mobilization and utilization of resources;
- · Advises the Board of Directors on the Corporation’s performance;
- · Directs and ensures that annual reports and statement of accounts are submitted to the Board of Directors;
- · Formulates policies and strategies aimed at improving revenue collection for the Corporation;
- · Supervises the application and review of Corporation Act, regulations and systems procedures, and ensures that STAMICO legal responsibilities and interests are well protected;
- · Liaises with the Ministry of Energy and Minerals and other stakeholders to promote an understanding of the problems and constraints that STAMICO sometimes encounters in its operations;
- · Ensures that core functions of the Corporation which are mineral rights acquisition, exploration, drilling, mine development, mining and mineral marketing and joint venturing are effectively supervised;
- · Provides consultancies and specialized technical services to small scale miners and other stakeholders; and
- · Conducts open performance review and appraisal of subordinates.
- The candidate must be a graduate of a reputable university in either engineering, geo-science, economics, finance, accounting, law, management or other related fields.
- Masters in Business Administration or equivalent will be an advantage.
- He must have at least 10 years working experience in senior position with a large reputable organization preferably a profit organization out which two years must have been in the mining industry.
- Computer literacy is essential;
- Ability to communicate with excellent writing skills;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Swahili; and
- Ability to supervise and direct multifunctional professionals.
Applicants for this position must not be less than 35 years of age.
Please note that those who applied on the basis of the previous advertisement may re-apply.
According to STAMICO Schemes of Service in the salary scale of STAMICO - Salary Scale SMC 11.
General Conditions for all Candidates
(1) Preference will be given to those with experience in the mining industry;
(2) Candidates should submit a hand written application accompanied by the following:
(i) Detailed C.V with three referees who can be contacted;
(ii) Copies of relevant certificates to support qualifications;
(iii) Two recent passport size photographs; and
(iv) Reliable working telephone and e-mail address.
(3) All applications should be addressed to the following physical address:
STATE MINING CORPORATION
Plot No. 417/418 – United Nations Road, Upanga
P.O. Box 4958,
DAR ES SALAAM
(4) Sealed envelope should indicate position applied.
(5) Closing date for receiving applications will be 27th December, 2013 at 4:00 p.m.
(6) Shortlisted applicants will be invited for interview through their addresses and those who will not be contacted should consider themselves unsuccessful.