Position: Finance Assistant, Tanzania
Reports to: Finance Officer
Contract duration: 12 months (with possible extension)
Reporting to the Finance Officer, the Finance Assistant will support the finance functions of BBC Media Action in Tanzania. This includes processing supplier invoices and payment vouchers, issuing cheques for accounts due, assisting with the annual audit, maintaining the finance filling system, assisting with month-end and year-end returns and tracking funds requests ensuring they are processed accurately and efficiently.
S/he must be a university graduate with at least two years of work experience with an NGO or equivalent type of organisation. Experience of working with and reporting to international development donors would be an advantage.
- Assist with monitoring the financial system in order to ensure that BBC Media Action finances are maintained in an accurate and timely manner.
- Maintain supplier accounts
- Processing supplier invoices
- Process payment vouchers
- Issue cheques for all accounts due
- Assist with the annual audit
- Assist with maintenance of our finance filing system
- Assist with month end as well as year-end returns
- Tracking all the funds request submitted to finance ensuring that they are timely processed
- To be responsible for cash management such as managing Petty Cash
Required skills, knowledge and experience:
- First Degree in Accountancy or equivalent – with original copies of qualification documents.
- A minimum of two years professional working experience at the level of Finance Assistant or above level within a recognised NGO or INGO.
- Experience of working with and reporting to international donors.
- Good interpersonal skills to establish effective working relationships with financial and non-financial staff within BBC Media Action.
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels within the organisation.
- Excellent IT skills with experience of operating computer-based financial management systems.
- An eye for detail and a concern for accuracy
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
Analytical thinking – Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts to explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
Planning and organisation – Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
Resilience – Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
Communication – The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
Managing relationships – Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
Candidates should send their CV and a covering letter (PDF or Microsoft Word format) which outlines their experience and suitability for the role in English to email@example.com. The name of the position applied for should be included in the subject line of the email.
Please do not send certificates or other attachments. Applicants with no separate covering letter will not be considered. Please only apply if you meet the basic criteria under the person specification. This is a local post applicable to people who have the legal right to live and work in Tanzania. 'National terms and conditions will apply'.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Application deadline: Wednesday 10 December 2014 by 5pm