The Tanzania Commission for Universities (TCU) is a Government Executive Agency under the Ministry of Education and Vocational Training. The Agency is mandated in promoting and oversees quality assurance of universities and its core function is to regulate, advice and support university education level in the country. The agency is expected to better meet the requirements of its customers and public in general.
The Commission offices are currently located at Garden Road (New TPDC Estate) Dar es Salaam. Being an equal opportunity employer Tanzania Commission for Universities now invites application from qualified Tanzanians to fill the following challenging positions.
Post Title: Director of Finance and Administration
Appointment by: Commission
Duty Station: Dar es Salaam
- To provide technical advice on the conceptualization, design, resources mobilization, implementation, evaluation and timely feedback on Commission’s’ plans, programmes and projects;
- To develop and implement effective and efficient plans for human resource development, finance and administration matters.
- To prepare and coordinate annual budget and annual reports for the
- To coordinate and ensure effective use of all revenues accruing to the
The applicant must:
- Possess either outstanding qualifications at either PhD (Finance Accounting/Economics), Masters Degree (Finance Accounting/Economics), CPA, ACCA, CA or any related field from a recognized institution and musthave outstanding academic and administrative experience and capability.
- The candidate must not be below 35 years of age.
- Demonstrate ability to mobilize and generate funds from internal and external sources
- Have adequate skills in managing Management Information System.
- Have adequate skills in managing plans, budgets, income and expenditure issues;
- Must have good management knowledge and well versed with Human
- Resource Management in Higher Education Institutions.
- Have effective liaison skills with Government, higher learning institutions, the private sector, other institutions and the international community.
- Have high degree command of co-ordination skills
- Demonstrate highest level of integrity.
- Must have good knowledge in computer and management package.
- The applicant must also have skills and ability to:
- Interpret and promote the Commission’s key functions;
- Stimulate and encourage new ideas and developments through motivation and support for staff; and - Influence, persuade and build coalitions and networks for the benefits of the Commission.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
a) Heads the Department of Finance and Administration;
b) Advises the Executive Secretary on matters pertaining to Finance and
c) Establishes and maintains workable systems for regular monitoring and evaluation of the performance, quality, relevance and efficiency of all finance programmes;
d) Plans and controls all the financial and accounting operations for the
Commission;e) Determines viable sources of funding;
f) Mobilizes finances from a variety of sources;
g) Design and review Financial and HR tools;
h) Prepares strategic plan and annual budgets for Tanzania Commission for
i) Ensure timely audit of financial statements;
j) Receive and direct the proper use of all monies paid to the Commission;
k) Prepare financial statements of income and expenditure for Tanzania
Commission for Universities at appropriate times;
l) Reviews existing and develops new physical, financial, accounting programmes based on established needs of the Commission;
m) Makes proposals for investing funds for the Commission and implements the approved investments;
n) Ensures adherence to the approved financial and administrative policies and procedures;
o) Maintains sound industrial relations and develops effective employee communication systems;
p) Serve as Secretary to Grants Committee;
q) Performs any other duties allocated to him from time to time by the
The applicant must have:
Not less than 5 years experience in management at senior position in finance and administration or related fields in a medium to large organization, experience in working with higher education institutions will be an added advantage;
Developed strategic documents for an organization that yielded positive results for the development and growth of the organization;
Attributes that make him/her able to work with a government and higher learning institutions.
Tenure: 4 years renewable contract subject to positive annual performanceappraisal.
Successful candidate will be paid according to Tanzania Commission for
Universities salary scale
MODE OF APPLICATION
Applicants who meet the stated requirements for the advertised post and would like to serve the Tanzanian Public Service through Tanzania Commission for Universities, should send their applications to:
The Executive Secretary Tanzania Commission for Universities
P.O. Box 6562
DAR E S SALAAM
Signed application letters must be accompanied by:
(a) Proof of Tanzanian citizenship (affidavits will not be accepted)
(b) Applicant’s current CV and two passport size photographs in colour. (c) Photocopies of academic and professional certificates
(d) Names and full contact addresses and daytime telephone numbers of three referees.
All application must be posted; personal delivery will not be entertained.
All applications must be in hand writing.
Applications should reach the Tanzania Commission for Universities latest by the close of business on 19th December 2014.
The title of the position applied for should be marked on the envelope; short of which will make the application invalid.
Presentation of forged academic certificates and other information in the CV will necessitate to legal action.
Applicants for senior positions currently employed in the public service should route their application letters through their respective employers.
NOTE: Only short-listed candidates who meet the above criteria will be contacted and those who will not hear from us should consider themselves unsuccessful.