Position: Journalist/Producer, Tanzania
Reports to: Senior Producer
Duration: Initially, 7 months
BBC Media Action uses media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights in developing countries. To achieve this, BBC Media Action works with civil society organisations, local media and governments in order to:
Produce creative programmes in multimedia formats, based on robust research, which inform and engage audiences around key development issues;
Strengthen the media sector through building professional their capacity and infrastructure.
BBC Media Action believes in the power of media and communication to help reduce poverty and support people in understanding their rights. Our aim is to inform, connect and empower people around the world.
We’re passionate about people getting the information they need and, in turn, being able to communicate to good effect with those in power.
BBC Media Action delivers a portfolio of media projects in Tanzania. We seek to expand this portfolio of work and to ensure that existing projects are delivered to time, to budget and to the highest standards, and in accordance with BBC editorial values as well as BBC Media Action best practice.
Purpose of the role
The producer/journalist is an experienced, creative and dynamic individual who understands BBC editorial standards and how to implement them in programming output. The producer is responsible for sourcing content from partner stations, selecting and inviting studio guests to productions and works closely with the executive editor and senior producer to achieve the objectives of the programme.
The post holder is expected to produce a programme of high editorial and technical quality and, with the senior producer, will encourage partner stations to rebroadcast the national programme.
- Participate in producing the weekly Haba na Haba radio programme;
- Assist with producing a 3 minute version of Haba na Haba;
- Work closely with the senior producer and content researcher during content planning;
- Gather and verify factual information for topics through interviews, observation and production research (depending on the format);
- Work with the Haba na Haba production team on social media plans;
- Work with the senior producer to prepare the weekly and monthly topics for the programme;
- Assist production staff in preparing content for the show’s multimedia platforms;
- Produce video and audio for social media when required.
Required skills, knowledge and experience
- Able to gather and verify factual information for weekly topics through interview, observation and research;
- Able to organise programming material and able to determine slant or emphasis according to prescribed editorial style and format standards;
- Ability to work cooperatively with the production team on assigned stories.
- Experience in behaviour change communications projects, preferably in the health, governance or resilience/livelihoods sectors;
- Prior experience with internationally reputable Swahili broadcaster.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
- Analytical thinking. Able to simplify complex problems, processes or projects into component parts, explore and evaluate them systematically. Able to identify causal relationships, and construct frameworks, for problem-solving and/or development.
- Decision making. Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Planning and organisation. Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Resilience. Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Influencing and persuading. Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Communication. The ability to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Managing relationships. Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people.
You should send your CV/resume and a covering letter, which outlines your experience and suitability for the role, in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 10 August 2015.
This is a local post applicable only to people who have the legal right to live and work in Tanzania. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.