The East African Community (EAC) is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, Republic of South Sudan and the Republic of Uganda with its Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
Article 5 of the EAC Treaty provides for gender equity, gender mainstreaming in all EAC Projects and Programmes, the enhancement of the role of women in cultural, social, political, economic and technological development.
The EAC has signed a financing agreement with African Development Bank with the purpose of providing a framework for cooperation in the implementation of the 50 Million African Women Speak (50 MWS) Platform Project. The EAC Secretariat has further entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with COMESA and ECOWAS as collaborating RECs to implement the 50 Million African Women Speak (50 MWS) Platform Project. EAC is recruiting staff for the Sub-Project Implementation Unit (SPIU).
This is an exciting opportunity for highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, South Sudan and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community-Secretariat:
Job Position: Accountant/ Financial Manager - (REF: EAC/HR/2016-17/23)
Organ / Institution: The Secretariat
Duty Station: Arusha, Tanzania
Job Grade: P2
Job reports to: Director Finance
The overall responsibility of the accountant is to perform efficient and effective financial administration and management of all funds of the 50Million African Speak (50MWS Platform Project and other related responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage and administer all the funds of the 50Million African Women Speak Platform Project in accordance with the project’s financial rules and regulations
- Manage and monitor effective maintenance of books of accounts and ensuring that all financial transactions are in line with the project’s financial rules and regulations
- Validate payment vouchers, cheques, local purchase orders for transactions Reconcile ledger accounts and follow up on imprest given to project staff
- Prepare and submit financial reports as and when required
- Maintain regular and timely accounting records and prepare weekly, monthly quarterly and annual financial reports
- Assist project officers to prepare budgets for approved activities.
- Monitor the expenditures of the programme with a view to ensuring that the amounts budgeted for under exact expenditure head is not exceeded.
- Maintain ledgers and implementation of strong internal control systems in order to facilitate timey financial reports, budgets and accountabilities.
- Maintain the asset register and the depreciation schedules of the 50MWS Project Assets.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly bank reconciliation statements.
- Check the payment vouchers, journals and petty cash vouchers in terms of arithmetical accuracy and also to ensure that they have complete supporting documents.
- Check posting into the ledger to ensure that the transactions are accurately posted.
- Facilitate the work of the external and internal auditors
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree from a recognized university, in either, finance, business administration, accounting or any other related field
- Relevant working experience of 8 years with a donor funded project at a regional/international level with at least 3 years of experience at senior level .
Skills and Competencies:
- Proficiency in various computerized financial management information systems such as sun system accounting package and other computer package
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Good knowledge of ICT based systems is preferable
Education Qualifications and Relevant Working Experience:
- All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State.
- This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
- All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience:
- Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
Terms and Conditions of Service:
This position under EAC Secretariat is tenable for a contract period of fixed three (3) years upon availability of funds.
The post offers an attractive remuneration.
The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned positions are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three referees, and copy of National Identity Card, or Birth Certificate or Passport showing date of birth. Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Tuesday , 24th January 2017.
You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
Only qualified candidates will be contacted
EAC Staff Rules and Regulations precludes considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process. All invitations for interviews will be done in writing
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha - Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
Website : www.eac.int
Application Deadline: Tuesday, 24 January 2017 - 5:00pm
- Assistant Marketing Officer – 5 Posts
- Assistant Credit Officers - 8 Posts
- Branch Accountants - 2 Posts
- Senior Procurement Officer
- Program Technical Officer
- A preschool teacher