Mwananchi Communications Limited, publishers of the leading Tanzania newspapers,
Mwananchi, Mwanaspoti and The Citizen is looking for motivated and highly experienced individuals to fill the positions of: - Sub Editor Sports
To edit stories, write captions, place pictures and write headlines in conformity with journalistic ethics, editorial objectives and house style within set deadlines.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for the following key result areas:
- Checking and correcting editorial copy allocated by the Chief Sub-Editor for facts, accuracy, libel, taste, house-style, language use, clarity, details, objectivity and spelling
- Subs copy to fit allocated space without distorting facts or dispensing with the salient points.
- Re-writes the copy as necessary for simplicity, Clarity and house-style.
- Writes or rewrites the appropriate headline for the copy, ensuring it reflects the overriding message of the story.
- Edits the pictures selected by the Chief Sub Editor to fit the allocated space, and writes/rewrites appropriate caption taking care not to merely state the obvious details.
- Designs the editorial pages as directed by the Chief Sub Editor.
- Checks all headlines, captions, pictures, copy text and page logos and all other page elements to sign the pages within set deadlines.
- Checks the printed soft copy and corrects any errors and signs off the pages to go to press
- Submits the edited copy within set deadlines.
- ‘Editing stories aimed to be used on the social media platforms developed for breaking news to web stories.
- Adhering to Social Media Policy as updated from time to time.
- University Degree/Diploma in Journalism/Mass Communication or equivalent.
- At least four years’ experience in journalism. part of which as a sub editor
- Excellent communication skills
- Mastery of English and Swahili grammar