Delegation of European Union to the United Republic of Tanzania is looking for a Programme Officer - Reference: OPS/2017/EU-ECON. We offer a full time (37.5 hours a week) post of Programme Officer with six months probationary period. Under this post, recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Programme Officer. This job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation.
Delegation of European Union to the United Republic of Tanzania is looking for a Programme Officer - Reference: OPS/2017/EU-ECON
We areThe European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known as EU Delegations, which have similar functions to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to Tanzania in the partnership with Tanzania and the East African Community:
- Shares the values and interests of the European Union:
- Promotes fundamental rights, good governance and accountable democracy;
- Supports Tanzania's development agenda and sustainable development goals for a better life for all
- Stimulates inclusive growth, private sector and job creation:
- Fosters regional peace and stability, economic integration and trade development
We offer a full time (37.5 hours a week) post of Programme Officer with six months probationary period. Under this post, recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Programme Officer. This job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation.
This is a full time employment and the duty station is Dar es Salaam. The post is allocated in salary group 1 which has a minimum gross salary of 5,180,019 TZS per month.
We offer other entitlements as per European Union human resources procedures applicable to locally recruited staff. The definitive salary will be determined based on the professional experience of the successful candidate. We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
Reporting to the head of the economics, governance section, the Programme Officer covers the following main areas:
Produce economic and social analysis of public policies, social delivery and programs focusing on poverty reduction.
Backstopping on governance-related policy dialogue and program implementation related to Social inclusion and research.
Employment and social cohesion
Provides support in the program management, analysis, and program development in the area of employment and social cohesion with a particular focus on youth.
Budget line projects
Manage the implementation of several budget line projects, particularly on social inclusion, health, education and research.
Main Functions and duties:
Delegation’s project cycle management (Function type: Programme/Project/Process Management)
- Contribute to all stages of the project cycle, from programming to evaluation, in close cooperation with the beneficiaries and counterparts.
- Contribute to all aspects of the procurement process (drafting terms of reference, launching tenders, evaluation, etc.).
- Contribute to all contracting aspects, in particular initiating and verifying contractual obligations in line with EC financial systems and procedures.
- Contribute to monitoring and evaluation of projects, including meetings, progress reports, support to missions, etc.
- Maintain contacts with other development partners active in Tanzania.
Preparation and follow up of projects and programmes (Function type: Project /Process Management)
- Assist in launching and managing projects, sector programmes.
- Assist in launching and managing calls for proposals and tenders
- Ensure the follow-up of the implementation of projects and the performance of project managers and partners, monitor contractual obligations (via periodic reviews, audits, reporting and assistance, etc.) and gather and handle external expertise if needed.
- Deal with horizontal activities, consultation and networking aspects of the projects.
Sector analysis, strategy formulation and programming (Function type: policy analysis)
- Support policy dialogue with all relevant ministries, agencies, donors and other relevant stakeholders in the area of social inclusion, youth, employment, VET, research, governance.
- Contribute to sector analysis and policy development.
- Participate actively in co-ordination between development partners and government.
Sectoral reporting to headquarters (Function type: internal communication)
- Observe, monitor and report regularly and in timely fashion (including early warnings on potential disputes) to Headquarters on sectoral issues, as well as in response to any specific requests, under the authority of the Head of Operations and the Head of Section.
Representation, networking, participation (Function type: representation, networking, and participation)
- Maintain good and effective contacts with the local operators in the field, with the national authorities and institutions, with representatives of the diplomatic missions of the Member States, with representatives of the international donors, with NGOs and other local NSAs.
- Prepare and assist in missions from Headquarters and organise workshops.
Communication relating to programme and projects (Function type: External communication)
- Produce and disseminate the results of projects at workshops, seminars, conferences and other public events, if the need arises.
- Extract and disseminate best practices and facilitate exchange of experiences.
- Contribute to the production of publications, speeches and articles.
- Perform other tasks assigned by the head of section, head of operations or head of delegation, including with regard to donor coordination and aid effectiveness.
Required Qualifications and Competencies
- Background in economics, governance and/or public administration.
- Minimum of three years' or equivalent in postgraduate education /research.
Linguistics ability and Communication skills
- Fluent in English, knowledge of Kiswahili is an added advantage.
- Very good oral and written communication.
Interpersonal and Intellectual skills
- Flexibility to work under pressure and to respond quickly to new demands
- High degree of responsibility and be able to work independently
- Ability to work in a team
- Polite and professional manners
- Ability to focus on priorities and to organise work to deliver on time
Knowledge of IT tools
- Microsoft Office, Excel, Outlook
How to applyPlease send your application and supporting documents to DELEGATION-TANZANIA-HR-RECRUITMENT@eeas.europa.eu The package should include a cover letter and a detailed CV. The selection process will include evaluation of applications, written tests for qualified candidates to be followed by oral interviews for shortlisted candidates. EU is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants should be legally allowed to live and work in Tanzania.
The delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to DELEGATION-TANZANIA-HR-RECRUITMENT@eeas.europa.eu
The deadline for applications is 30/01/2018