The Ariel Glaser Pediatric AIDS Healthcare Initiative (AGPAHI), an affiliate of Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Organization (EGPAF) is Tanzanian led and managed national organization focusing largely on HIV and AIDS and other related health programs.
AGPAHI implements all its programs in collaboration with Tanzania Government Entities through the Ministry of Health, Community Development, Gender, Elderly and Children (MoHCDGEC) and President’s Office – Regional Administration and Local Government (PO RALG) and other stakeholders. AGPAHI supports the provision of high-quality HIV and other health services and ensures that efforts are well-integrated into existing regional and district health systems.
AGPAHI is implementing various projects that are highly demanding and thus the organization is looking for a motivated, result driven, qualified and competent people to fill various positions as per the AGPAHI organogram.
Job Title : PROGRAM OFFICER, LABORATORY SERVICES - 1 Post
Report to: REGIONAL PROGRAM COORDINATOR
Purpose of post:
The purpose of this position is to strengthen the implementation and management of overall laboratory quality assurance activities and training as needed for the AGPAHI supported sites. Program Officer Laboratory Services, will provide direct technical assistance to laboratory sites and/or serve a coordinating role in ensuring that the appropriate resources are recruited in order to assist sites in maintaining the highest level of quality systems.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensuring good quality clinical laboratory services in AGPAHI supported sites
- Conduct Laboratory specific supportive supervision and Laboratory Mentorship
- Conduct ongoing assessments of Laboratory Quality Systems within the AGPAHI supported labs; identify areas for quality improvement and provide advice and technical assistance.
- Ensure that SOPs, laboratory manuals, guidelines, worksheets and forms are appropriately utilized at all sites and assist in the modification of these forms whenever appropriate.
- Ensure that 12 elements of quality system management are implemented at all laboratories in AGPAHI supported sites.
- Prepare and facilitate trainings for laboratory staff and other stakeholders, to ensure good quality lab services.
- Liaise with the AGPAHI Technical team in Shinyanga and HQ, to provide strategic technical guidance on laboratory activities in field and strategies for improvement.
- Assisting EID activities (Lab Technical assistance, samples, results transportation, DBS SCM) in AGPAHI supported sites.
- Ensures that laboratories have an uninterrupted supply of reagents as well as the conditions necessary to ensure reagent stability
- Assesses laboratories for current capacity and guides capacity building efforts
- Facilitate supply chain management system on laboratory reagents and equipment through central procurement system and Medical store.
- Ensure all programmatic activities under laboratory services are implemented according to work plan
- Capacity building of lab services in districts and sites:
- Liaise with Laboratory Quality Officers and other stakeholders in the district and region in developing strategies to improve and standardize the quality systems in all of the AGPAHI supported laboratories.
- Liaise with the ZPM and RPC to identify additional regional technical assistance needs and resources for laboratory quality assurance.
- Actively propose innovative strategies to ZPM and RPC for strengthening laboratory activities in the region, including the local capacity to implement and supervise these activities.
- Responsible for Lab related data collection, analysis and reporting and proper documentation.
- Prepare and submit monthly report on laboratory activities to RPC
- Collaborate with the ZPM; RPC to regularly inform all local stakeholders about the AGPAHI supported laboratory activities in the region.
- Provide any other information / reports as requested by the ZPM or RPC.
Qualifications, Skills and ability
- Degree in Medical Laboratory Technology or Advanced diploma or Bachelor of Science in Medical laboratory Technology.
- Experience working in a medical laboratory
- Experience with laboratory tests and techniques required for the diagnosis and monitoring of the following (but not limited to): HIV/AIDS, TB, Malaria, STIs, and other infectious diseases.
- Experience working with laboratory equipment, reagents and consumables required for the above-mentioned infections
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and CV (not exceeding four pages) and names and contact information of three referees before close of business on Friday 21st December, 2018 to the Human Resources and Administration Manager, Ariel Glaser Pediatric AIDS Healthcare Initiative, by e-mail to email@example.com
Please mention the title of the position in your email subject and do not attach any document other than the CV and cover letter.
AGPAHI is an equal opportunity employer, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.